We estimate that over 8,000 hours of work went into Katie’s original construction. Many more hours have gone into her maintenance since. Much of this work was rewarded by Katie being designated Best Overall Sail in the 2002 and 2004 Victoria Classic Boat Festivals.
Regular annual maintenance has been a key principle of Katie Ford’s stewardship. Although Katie has been maintained with few modifications, upgrades have been made as necessary. Her cotton sails have been replaced b Dacron. Her Hercules 50 HP engine (she Originally had a Gray Marine) was replaced with a 55HP Perkins 4-108 diesel engine. A 16-gallon holding
tank has been added, the forward berths converted into a Queen size double, a Nova Cool refrigerator unit installed, Raymarine chartplotter and radar, autopilot, ICOM VHF radio and Raymarine GPS and Depth sounder have been added to replace the older navigation array. Katie’s original color was blue but this was changed to white about 12 years ago.
2001 Major Refit
A major refit was conducted in 2001, when rot was located in the transom area. The refit was carried out to avoid future
Since, then additional work has been completed as follows:
- 2002 Mast refitted and varnished.
- 2003 Brian Toss Riggers of Port Townsend, WA replaced all standing rigging and lifelines.
- 2004 Ian McKenzie made a new wheel for the Pilot House.
- 2005 Repainted Katie and re-varnished the mast.
- 2005 Victoria Marine Electric installed breaker panels for 12v and 32v systems.
- 2006 All through hulls were removed except the head discharge and were replaced with Maralon fittings and all bonding links removed.
- 2006 The head discharge and the propeller shaft are isolated by an epoxy surround.
- 2006 A new emergency hand pump was installed.
- 2006 The bright work was sanded and renewed.
- 2006 A new Yankee sail was made by Carol Hasse of Port Townsend, WA.
- 2008 The bright work was sanded and renewed again.
- 2008 Water pump and hot water tank installed.
- 2008 Head was replaced and completely replumbed.
- 2008 New breaker panel installed for shore power including galvanic isolator.
- 2009 New bronze heavy plating installed on the bow and rub rails.
- 2009 Cabin top was replaced including removal of all fittings and dorade vents which were replaced.
- 2009 Both oil stove and fireplace chimneys were replaced and refurbished.
- 2009 Deck seams in the cockpit redone.
Now, with digital books, once again there`s no more profitable use of an author`s time than https://jt.org/time-management-tips-for-college-students/2019/ writing.